Skip to main content

Winter Burrview - 2011/12

The Winter Preview is here. With the winter holiday I had a few hours to seat and consider what is an expansive list of upcoming Crime Fiction releases. There are a good number of books to get excited about this quarter.

The Hungry Detective encourages you to buy these books when they appear at local bookstore. (Seriously Amazon..... just awful.). Happy Holidays to everyone. Be safe, and read!

SLASH AND BURN - Colin Cotterill - Out Now
One of these days I'll write a post about all the authors I have always wanted to read. Mr. Cotterill would be near the top of that list.

THE LEOPARD - Jo Nesbo - Out Now
While we all wait for the eventual release of Book 4 of Blomkvist and Salander, publishing is pushing Mr. Nesbo with unrestrained abandon. Plus the name. Harry Hole. I. Mean. Come. On.

DARK REVELATIONS - Anthony Zuiker and Duane Swierczynski - December 29
I read the first book in this series. I skipped the second due to my court mandated restraining order to not read any thrillers.

AGENT 6 - Tom Rob Smith - January 5
CHILD 44 made a gigantic splash a few years back. I never caught up with the second, THE SECRET SPEECH. I love the Soviet era setting, but found little else compelling about CHILD 44. Release is January 5th, but I saw this on the shelf yesterday.

THE COLD, COLD GROUND Adrian McKinty - January 5
A UK only release, or I guess I should say this book is not being released in the US due to shortsighted US publishers. Sigh.  Looking forward to receiving this book via as yet to be determined UK book purveyor.

RAYLAN - Elmore Leonard - January 17
I have friends that swear by the FX show Justified, including my mother. I am possibly the only Crime Fiction enthusiast who has never felt all that compelled to at the very least read the highlights of Mr. Leonard's expansive canon.

WHAT IT WAS - George Pelecanos - January 23
Is there any better chronicler of a city than what Mr. Pelecanos has done with Washington DC? The Hungry Detective assures you that the answers is no. I should point out that right now (12/17) the Kindle is .99!

TAKEN - Robert Crais - January 24
I've enjoyed the Pike books greatly but Elvis is always good for some morally conflicted laughs. TAKEN looks be to a hybrid. Half Cole/Pike. Half Pike/Cole.

TRIAL OF THE SPELLMANS - Lisa Lutz - Feb 28
I was under the impression that we had seen the last of those wacky Spellman's. I guess I was wrong.

AN AMERICAN SPY - Olen Steinhauer - March 13
How long do I have to wait for this book. Hrumpf. Too long. The first two books in the Milo Weaver series are easily in the top five or ten things I have read in the last three years.

Other Notables:
THE CONFESSION - Charles Todd; THE RETRIBUTION - Val McDermid; BREAKDOWN - Sara Paretsky; THE JAGUAR - T. Jefferson Parker; The Rope - Nevada Barr; ALL I DID WAS SHOOT MY MAN - Walter Mosely; THE FEAR INDEX - Robert Harris; WILD THING - Josh Bazell; THE COMEDY IS FINISHED - Donald E. Westlake; CHASING MIDNIGHT - Randy Wayne White; RIZZO'S DAUGHTER - Lou Manfredo; THE GIRL NEXT DOOR - Brad Parks; STAY CLOSE - Harlan Coben; FORCE OF NATURE - C.J. Box

Comments

Jared said…
Yer damn right I stand by JUSTIFIED, and I'm making Julie watch it right now, too, so we can both be ready for Season 3. Long live Walt Goggins!

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...