Skip to main content

Road Dogs - Review

This is my first Elmore Leonard. I am not one to read the work of our master's. Chandler, Hammett, et al. I have trouble reading books I buy this year. The idea of stepping back to read the admitted great works of even the last 25 years is mind boggling to me. So, I'll admit that what attracted me to the book was the continuing adventures of Bank Robber Jack Foley, as I believe the film adaptation to be a masterpiece.

ROAD DOGS follows Jack as he finally, legally, makes it out of prison. While riding out the last three years of sentence he strikes up a friendship with Cundo Rey. Rey is yet another character from the Leonard universe to make an appearance. Rey wants Jack to keep an eye on his wife who Rey worries may not be faithful. Jack feels obligated to Rey for helping to reduce his sentense, so Jack goes to Venice, California to keep an eye on Dawn... or is it vice versa?

Laconic is about the best word to describe the plot, prose, and characters. It is easy to see why Mr. Leonard is revered as perhaps the greatest crime fiction novelist. Everything about the book has the feel of a worn in pair of jeans. Easy, effortless. The book is like a conversation with an old friend you could spend the whole night with. The hand of the writer is always there but never intrusive, always organic. The book for right or for wrong does lack a certain amount narrative propulsion. It certainly lends the book an authenticity, but occasionally I was left wonder where this was all going.

Mr. Leonard hardly needs this review to champion his work, but if you are looking for a good Sunday afternoon read. ROAD DOGS won't steer you wrong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...