Well this brightens an otherwise dull Thursday afternoon. Scorsese's adaptation of Mr. Lehane's SHUTTER ISLAND looks a little crazy. Here is hoping that with his Oscar win for THE DEPARTED Mr. Scorsese will have a little fun. As Scorsese is huge movie fanatic, I'm hoping for a good old Haunted House movie like the ones Val Lewton used to make. Although Lewton didn't make a Haunted House film per se, he did make movies about things that go bump in the night.
Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...
Comments