Skip to main content

Spring Fling Preview 2009

Gasp... is that the sun. Sweet excelsior of life, here to wash the putrescence of winter off my skin. Okay, so the The Hungry Detective is very happy to welcome Spring. My diatribe aside I generally love the winter, but right around the second or third week of February Winter becomes a heavy burden crushing my soul.

A plethora of Crime Fiction will appear in the coming months. Let's not waste a moment longer.

The Long Fall - Walter Mosley (March 24)
With the Easy Rawlins books in Mr. Mosley's rearview mirror... I give that 5 years... Mr Mosley switches his focus from LA to NYC. Mr. Mosley is one of the reasons I read crime fiction. However, my real concern is that most of Mr. Mosley's non Easy Rawlins work has left me cold.

The Dark Volume - GW Dahlquist (March 24)
Huh. Sometimes a book makes this list because of a jacket cover or interesting title. In this case the first book in the series was titled, The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters. It is even fun to type, The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters. Probably more fantasy than crime fiction, but still sounds intriguing.

Shadow and Light - Jonathan Rabb (March 31)
Germany. Between the wars. I am a sucker for Historical Crime Fiction. This one is set in the monolithic German film production company UFA. You may not be excited but The Hungry Detective is.

Devil's Garden - Ace Atkins (April 2)
Ace continues his recent run of fact based fictions. This time he turns his intoxicating prose to the infamous Roscoe Arbuckle case. Ace has been one of my favorites for several years.

Paolos Verdes Blues - John Shannon (April 7)
Here is one of the unsung LA based series. I dug around looking to pick up a book but the first in the series proved difficult to obtain. Maybe I'll just start here.

Fifty Grand - Adrian McKinty (April 28)
Cuba. It evokes a lot of images.... mostly those from The Godfather Part II. If he writes Cuba half as well as he does Mexican prisons this should be just fine. I am really looking forward to this book. This is a day of release purchase. Read everything this guy has written. NOW!

The Language of Bees - Laurie King -(April 28)
Continuation of the highly enjoyable Mary Russell-Sherlock Holmes series. I'll admit to being a couple books behind. The last read was Justice Hall. Save for one or two, these books always delivery.

Dust and Shadows - Lyndsay Faye (April 28)
Dr. John Watson and Jack the Ripper. Yep! I know this story has been covered in fiction before. There is a film, Murder by Decree, that is based on a similar premise. I may not buy this book, but I will definitely read it at the library.

Sunnyside - Glen David Gold - (May 5)
One of the great books of my life is this author's first book, Carter Beats the Devil. I dream about making that book into the film The images are so clear to me. This is my most anticipated, non-crime fiction, book of the Spring.

The Secret Speech - Tom Rob Smith (May 19)
People fell all over themselves heaping praise on Child 44. Had I not expected the second coming I might have enjoyed it a bit more. That, an ignorance of it main source inspiration. Anyway, I am still looking forward to the new book.

The Scarecrow - Michael Connelly (May26)
While I think The Last Coyote is Mr. Connelly's masterpiece, my favorite book of his is The Poet. The Scarecrow marks the return of reporter Jack McEvoy. McEvoy was the hero of The Poet, and other than Bosch, is my favorite Michael Connelly creation. McEvoy has made a few cameos but THD is glad to see him have his own book.

The Criminal Next Door - Troy Cook (June)
Here is an author that I worry is a secret genius. One of these day's he is going to write a book that sells a billion copies and I will regret not buying his previous work... well that and not reading him sooner.

And still there are a bunch of books coming from many well known authors. Nevada Barr, Giles Blunt, Harlan Coban, Brian Freeman, Hakan Nessar, Greg Rucka, Michael Robotham, John Sandford, John Hart, George Pelecanos.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Very Best of Mr. Dennis Lehane

I thought this post would appear in October. Ya, know when SHUTTER ISLAND: THE MOVIE was supposed to be released. And then it wasn't. Something about Leo not being able to do 'press' for the movie. Doesn't really matter the reason, a February release date has one of those fancy Hollywood meanings: Not Good. Look I'll be honest, I didn't connect with SHUTTER ISLAND. I loved the fifties setting, the haunted house atmosphere, and impending doom of the Hurricane. Even the set-up of the story was intriguing but how it played out just didn't work for me. Some interesting characters, a bunch of great set pieces, but the ending announces itself with an expected, thud that went nowhere. Am I still going to the movie? Its Lehane, Scorsese, Leo, and Ruffalo of course I am. Anyway the list. 8. Prayers for Rain - 1999 The last Kenzie-Gennaro book follows our heroes as they investigate a guy who is terrorizing women into committing suicide. The book played like an episo

Small Mercies - The Return of Dennis Lehane

 A time honored tradition at The Hungry Detective HQ is to perform the twice annual, and largely ceremonial, 'Dennis Lehane New book 20XX" Google search. Nothing comes up on his long abandoned Website, except notification of the script work for his television and film projects.  Grousing aside, 2022 was a big year for Mr. Lehane. BLACK BIRD, a show he created, played on Apple+ to solid acclaim. The show's star, Paul Walter Hauser, won a Golden Globe. But despite that I have yet to watch it. Not for any other reason than I am a movie person more than a TV person. The TV I do watch is watched in an arcane order that is difficult to decipher and even more baffling to explain. Short story, I need to watch ANDOR [Editor's Note: Slow going on ANDOR despite everyone telling me it is amazing.] And then BLACK BIRD, or maybe SLOW HORSES. I'll get there...  Anyway at the dead end of 2022, I did the search. Found out he wrote a book. SMALL MERCIES . I was excited to hear it. I

A Fogotten Post: A Remembrance

[Editor's Note: Started this missive, never came back to it. Still relevant, I suppose.] I am reading MURDER IN OLD BOMBAY by Nev Marsh. This was... technically still is... on my to buy pile. In the before time... the overwhelming to be read pile time... I would have bought this and thrown it on the shelf to read in the near or more likely distant future. I hope I like it enough to buy the second in the series. Buying a book is fun, buying a book that is good is better. [Editor's Note: Abandoned this book, unfinished.] BLACKTOP WASTELAND - S.A. COSBY So glad I didn't buy this last summer. Good decision to put off buying and reading what would have certainly been one of the best books of the year. New goal for the remaining 2021 calendar. Don't be dumb. Buy Mr. Cosby's follow up and read day one! [Editor's Note: I did buy a signed copy of RAZORBLADE  TEARS, meanwhile B.W. won every award, except the Edgar where it wasn't even nominated!? Also Signed firsts of