Skip to main content

Fall Preview 2008

It is generally understood that the summer is the best time to release books. It seems even more so with crime fiction. The ultimately derogatory phase of 'beach read' gets attached to this genre to the extent that publishers end up believing that these books only sell when readers have vacation time staring them in the face.

THD will say that this fall is a little light. Looking over some of the release schedules there were a few books we left off. Does the new Stephen King really need any publicity? It has also been apparent to frequent readers of The Hungry Detective that we have been out of the loop for over a month. Vacation to Wisconsin, and a somewhat last minute trip to Brazil meant that we have just not had the time to keep in contact with all that has gone on. (You will be missed Cluelass!)

But this is water under the bridge. The Baltimore B'Con is just two and half weeks away. THD will be there with daily reports. We will also post winners of the various awards as soon as humanly possible.

Hopefully some exciting stuff is coming to the blog.

The Given Day - Dennis Lehane (Sept. 23)
Is there a bigger book this year? The reviews have been embarrassingly positive. This is a day of purchase. But I might save it for purchase here.

In the Dark - Mark Billingham (Sept. 30)
Non-series from Mark Billingham. Read him!

The Brass Verdict - Michael Connelly (Oct. 14)
Another Bosch book. And another Mickey Haller book. Haller and Bosch are actually Step-Brothers. Same father. I am perhaps the only reader who was lukewarm on The Lincoln Lawyer, the first Haller book. It just did not click with me. Still Connelly sits pretty high up the mountain of Crime Fiction. He would have to do something exceptionally bad to get me to stop reading.

Trigger City - Sean Chercover (Oct. 14)
The Hungry Detective have been plugging Trigger City for about a month. Sean was kind enough to send me an ARC on this book. Signed, thank you very much! I read it and loved the he-hi-heck out of the book. I'll post a review. soon. Buy this guy.

Flesh House - Stuart MacBride (Oct. 14)
Just read this authors first book. And I dug it. This is the fourth in the series. I have the second somewhere in the too be read pile. Will I read it? Of course. When? I don't have the first clue

Once Were Cops - Ken Bruen (Oct. 28)
Ugh! Here is an author that simply everyone.... EVERYONE... loves. Have never read him. Yes I know. Terrible. This is a case of do as I say not as I do!

Arctic Drift - Clive and Dirk Cussler (Nov. 25)
A beloved series. Clive was one of the first authors I picked up. I could not have a had a better introduction. Adventure, history, guns, women. Not Crime Fiction, but tons of fun.

Seven books in a Fall Preview is not a lot. We know that there must be more. Perhaps they are just waiting to present themselves. If and and when they do, I'll update this post. W

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...