Skip to main content

Into the West - Bouchercon 2010

As THD prepares for the coming Bouchercon in October, the current website for the Conference has posted the submissions for 2010. There is the submission from San Francisco, Cauleefornah and a submission from Tempe, Arizona. There was also one sumbission for 2011. I imagine that will turn up on the B'Con website in a day or two.

We have some thoughts. First I think this is a great idea. Posting the whys and what-fors before the sites are voted on has the enticement of encouraging as many conference goers as possible to attend the vote in Baltimore. I think these posts insure that this will occur. I know a representative from THD will be in attendance. I will have to speak with a lawyer to cede voting authority to this yet unnamed person.

San Francisco - This is a tough one, primarily because of the hotel costs. However, what you trade in higher hotel costs you could possibly save in some flexible travel options. Flying to Oakland has the luxury of being a bit closer than SFO and generally cheaper... depending on where you originate. Both airports are on the BART, and the city is defiantly navigable whether by trolley, subway, or shoe leather.

But still that hotel is $270 a night. Single occupancy? One imagines this gets pushed to $300 if not more if you share the room. Now if my compadre, Jared, comes the cost of the room is half, so staying at the hotel is less of a burden. Thankfully THD's in-laws are just across the Bay and over the mountains in Walnut Creek. A one hour BART ride means hotel cost are down to a handful of subway tickets.

The flip side to all of this is the San Francisco is a killer city. Truly one of those places you need to visit before you die. I don't think I need to elaborate on all the reasons why this is great town, except to say Clam Chowder in a Bread Bowl! Even if the only thing you do is stare out the window of your hotel room, or more likely the window to the rooftop bar (there's a roof top bar... right?) the city is a stunner.

Tempe - Submission two is very attractive. Hotel is a fully $80-90 cheaper and the proposal seems to indicate that that price holds for as many people as you can cram into a room. This means over the run of the Conference you will save $300 to $350 dollars over SF. This is a lot of money... and much like Vegas I probably just pour it into the book room, but regardless it will still feel like savings. Flights are not terrible in to Phoenix. A flight for October 2008 is around $200-$260 depending on what airport I choose. Phoenix is a major destination so one imagines flights for most of the US would not be prohibitive, plus the airport looks very close to the hotel. Google maps says 5.5 miles. The notorious sprawl of the area means conference goers may miss out on seeing the city if they don't rent a car.

The added value for me is that the Phoenix/Tempe area is not really on the slate of cities I have plans to visit in my life. This would be a great opportunity for me to visit a city that I am likely never going to see. Secondarily it is a small dream of mine to visit one of Frank Lloyd Wright's most iconic building Taliesin West, which is just over the river in Scottsdale.

The Tempe proposal also benefits from having a little more meat on its bones in regards to some of the proposed tracks for the conference. It feels a little more fleshed out than the SF bid as it appears on the current B'Con website.

St. Louis (2011) - 2011? I'll be 40 when this rolls around. Can't really bear to think about something this far in advance. $160 for the hotel...Gateway to the West.... the Arch... I hate Tony Larussa.... blah.... 40 years old people. 40!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Very Best of Mr. Dennis Lehane

I thought this post would appear in October. Ya, know when SHUTTER ISLAND: THE MOVIE was supposed to be released. And then it wasn't. Something about Leo not being able to do 'press' for the movie. Doesn't really matter the reason, a February release date has one of those fancy Hollywood meanings: Not Good. Look I'll be honest, I didn't connect with SHUTTER ISLAND. I loved the fifties setting, the haunted house atmosphere, and impending doom of the Hurricane. Even the set-up of the story was intriguing but how it played out just didn't work for me. Some interesting characters, a bunch of great set pieces, but the ending announces itself with an expected, thud that went nowhere. Am I still going to the movie? Its Lehane, Scorsese, Leo, and Ruffalo of course I am. Anyway the list. 8. Prayers for Rain - 1999 The last Kenzie-Gennaro book follows our heroes as they investigate a guy who is terrorizing women into committing suicide. The book played like an episo

Small Mercies - The Return of Dennis Lehane

 A time honored tradition at The Hungry Detective HQ is to perform the twice annual, and largely ceremonial, 'Dennis Lehane New book 20XX" Google search. Nothing comes up on his long abandoned Website, except notification of the script work for his television and film projects.  Grousing aside, 2022 was a big year for Mr. Lehane. BLACK BIRD, a show he created, played on Apple+ to solid acclaim. The show's star, Paul Walter Hauser, won a Golden Globe. But despite that I have yet to watch it. Not for any other reason than I am a movie person more than a TV person. The TV I do watch is watched in an arcane order that is difficult to decipher and even more baffling to explain. Short story, I need to watch ANDOR [Editor's Note: Slow going on ANDOR despite everyone telling me it is amazing.] And then BLACK BIRD, or maybe SLOW HORSES. I'll get there...  Anyway at the dead end of 2022, I did the search. Found out he wrote a book. SMALL MERCIES . I was excited to hear it. I

A Fogotten Post: A Remembrance

[Editor's Note: Started this missive, never came back to it. Still relevant, I suppose.] I am reading MURDER IN OLD BOMBAY by Nev Marsh. This was... technically still is... on my to buy pile. In the before time... the overwhelming to be read pile time... I would have bought this and thrown it on the shelf to read in the near or more likely distant future. I hope I like it enough to buy the second in the series. Buying a book is fun, buying a book that is good is better. [Editor's Note: Abandoned this book, unfinished.] BLACKTOP WASTELAND - S.A. COSBY So glad I didn't buy this last summer. Good decision to put off buying and reading what would have certainly been one of the best books of the year. New goal for the remaining 2021 calendar. Don't be dumb. Buy Mr. Cosby's follow up and read day one! [Editor's Note: I did buy a signed copy of RAZORBLADE  TEARS, meanwhile B.W. won every award, except the Edgar where it wasn't even nominated!? Also Signed firsts of