Skip to main content

We had guests this weekend

My wife's best friend and his wife visited us this weekend. So that means every meal was a chance to eat at one of Rochester's fine eating establishments.

Today we ate the South Wedge Diner and at Panera Bread. Yesterday we ate Lindburger's (more on this later). For lunch we ate at Open Face.

This place sticks out for me because for a very brief time they served Maid-rite Hamburgers.If you are from the Mid-west you might know what these are..... for those of you who do not it is best described as a crumbly hamburger. When they served them I enjoyed the nostalgia even if I thought the mustard dressing they had on it was a mite to strong. The other delicacy they serve is Moxie soda. Moxie is best described as cough syrup in the form of a soft drink. An acquired taste, but one that a friend or two enjoy even if I don't. Hugely popular during the turn of the last century, it is now reduced to a specialty drink produced in Pennsylvania.

Anyway it was sandwiches all around. The toasted cheese is terrific. Two thick pieces of whole wheat, havarti, with.... and this is the terrific part..... those french fried onions that only appear on green bean casseroles around Thanksgiving. My wife had the same and our guests had the Goat cheese sandwich, and sandwich tasting, which was half of a toasted cheese, and I believe half of the Brie sandwich. So not exactly adventurous, but it was delicious.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it 'Aughts' or 'Oughts' - The Best of the Decade Pt. II

Better late than what quite possibly could have been never. I found the whole task of formulating and compiling this list to be not very enjoyable. Ugh. Not sure why this list proved laborious to produce. Holidays are not a good time for anything except opening gifts... like a 47" LG LCD television. Let's quit with the complaining and finish the list. If you started here you should go back to the beginning . 5 . DIRT - Sean Doolittle (2001) This was a real toss up for me. I could just as easily gone with the funny and brutal THE CLEAN UP. DIRT gets it by a nose because a lot of what I enjoy about Crime Fiction is discovery. THE CLEAN UP is a great book, one that you should read, but I knew it was going to be good going in. Mr. Doolittle is a terrific writer of human frailty. DIRT contains one of the great truisms of human behavior that we frantically keep secrets from our closest friends and family while just as equally hoping these secrets will be discovered and accepted. I ...

The Very Best of Mr. Michael Connelly - Part 2

My August 31 post of The Hungry Detective ranked all the non-Bosch books. This list returns to take on the larger task of Mr. Heironimous Bosch. 9 Dragons made its appearance right before the Indy B'Con, and try as I might... ok I didn't try that hard... I didn't have time to read it for inclusion in these rankings. As a quick aside I don't want to undersell any of the books at the bottom of the list. Mr. Connelly doesn't know how to write a bad book, but in my case there have been occasions where I have not connected with his work. 13. THE NARROWS - 2004 It is because I love THE POET so much that this book is at the end of the list. When Mr. Connelly is at his best his works has the precision of a watchmaker. THE NARROWS just felt forced and not worthy of the intricacy of THE POET. 12. BLACK ICE - 1993 Second book. Third read. I thought the story was pretty flat. It has been well over a decade since I read this book, but the story of Mexican drug runner...

Murder, Mayhem and the Return of Patrick and Angie

Back from Murder and Mayhem in Muskego IV . It was an ultimately very good weekend if not for a few hiccups. The original intention was to attend the mini-con with my sister who lives in Appleton. Alas, she caught one of the fifty or so colds she will have in the next three months. Everyone at The Hungry Detective office hopes she feels better, and we are already looking forward to attending the fifth installment with her next year. The second minor disappointment was the, I'm sure, entirely unavoidable absences of Duane Swierczynski and Harry Hunsicker . Bummer. (Ed Note. Duane's twitter feed notes a Christening... Cheers to that Mr. Swierczynski!) All of this is, of course, is weighted by the very wonderful news that Dennis Lehane , after taking the balance of a year off after finishing The Given Day, is writing a new book. And it is a Kenzie and Gennaro book. Woo-Hoo! In terms of my own education about Crime Fiction, Dennis is an important figure. I was reading a lot by the...